When you’re not a morning person, and you have house guests come to visit its hard to know what to feed them for breakfast. So when I was a newlywed we’d pack our in-laws into the car and go out to eat. The idea of making scratch breakfast for the whole extended family was just too much to handle.
Then I discovered breakfast nests. They’re super easy to make in advance. You pop them in the fridge, and when you’re ready to eat them you just heat them up in the microwave.
You can also customize the ingredients of each nest. You can make spicy nests, plain nests, cheesy nests, veggie nests… you name it! So this recipe is great for families who have a variety of tastes.
I’m sharing the basic recipe, but you can add almost anything you like!
- 6 strips Petit Jean Bacon, cooked
- ½ cup Petit Jean Breakfast Sausage, cooked
- 6 small flour tortillas
- 5 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Wrap tortillas in wet paper towel and heat in microwave for thirty seconds. This makes them soft enough to form into nest shapes.
- Place tortillas in muffin tin ruffling the edges to form nests.
- Scramble eggs with salt & pepper.
- Pour eggs into tortilla nests.
- Add a spoonful of sausage to each nest.
- Add one strip of crumbled bacon to each nest.
- Be creative! You can also add other topping such as: ham, cheddar cheese, bell peppers, hot sauce, or salsa.
- Heat in oven for 25-30 minutes or until eggs set.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
If you are making these in advance let nests cool and then store in refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.
Sarah Shotts is a visual storyteller with a heart for adventure. She blogs at www.lovelettertoadventure.com. Sarah loves finding new local haunts and creating opportunities for bringing adventure into our everyday lives. You can connect via Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Sarah is a member of the Petit Jean Meats Blue Diamond Club, a group of dedicated ambassadors who share their love of Petit Jean Meats with the world.