Scalloped potatoes are a classic comfort food that is both rich and simple. In this recipe, we added a mixture of sweet potatoes and yellow potatoes (we used a ratio of about 2/3 sweet potato to 1/3 yellow potato) to change the flavor. With a pound of Petit Jean hickory smoked ham, this dish is hearty enough to stand alone, and is perfect to use up any leftover ham from a holiday!
- 6 cups potatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 ½ cups half-and-half
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Black pepper (to taste)
- ¾ tablespoon ground mustard
- pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 pound hickory smoked Petit Jean ham, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 9x9 baking dish and set aside.
- Peel and cut potatoes into ⅛” slices.
- In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, vegetable stock, half-and-half, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, nutmeg, and white wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately ten minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in Petit Jean ham and 2 tablespoons of the fresh parsley.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for about one hour, until lightly browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about ten minutes before serving. Sprinkle remaining fresh parsley on top just prior to serving.
Jamie Claire Kiser is a Fayetteville, Arkansas native. She’s a “retired” lawyer who now works in consulting. Jamie Claire and her husband Zach are proud Humane Society fosters and are full-time owners to two dogs of their own. Jamie adds a little sparkle to everyday recipes on her food blog, The Sparkle Kitchen.
Jamie is a member of the Petit Jean Meats Blue Diamond Club, a group of dedicated ambassadors who share their love of Petit Jean Meats with the world.