It’s back to school time! If you’re like me, then you are always searching for a breakfast that is easy to make and appealing to finicky kids. Bonus points if that breakfast is portable! In my house, I have one kid who prefers to eat breakfast as soon as she’s awake, another who wants to eat on the way to school and a third kid who begs me to cook a feast fit for a princess every day. When I found this Ham & Cheese Muffin recipe from Weelicious, I knew I’d hit the kid-pleasing jackpot. We’ve tried different muffins before, but I like this one because the Petit Jean Smoked Ham gives it the heartiness to keep my kids full until lunch.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Petit Jean Smoked Ham, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 350⁰ F.
- Combine the first 5 dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, oil and maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Add the buttermilk to the egg mixture and stir.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the cheese and Petit Jean Smoked Ham.
- Spoon the batter ⅔ of the way up into greased muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes (15 minutes if using mini muffin cups).
- Cool on a wire rack and serve.
*Recipe adapted from Weelicious.com
Rhonda Bramell is a blogger in Northwest Arkansas. By day, she works in retail marketing. By night, she is the ringleader of a circus that includes her husband, three kids and a rambunctious Boston Terrier. Rhonda has been blogging at Bramell, Party of Five for eight years; her blog is a collection of stories about the real life joys and challenges of parenting.